Introduction to Looking at Art and Racism: Changing people's belief of the world using Art, Series One.

Whittier art

Sometime in May of  2020, my sister- in- law, Jenny Bush sent me a  Facebook challenge,
          
          to post 7 pieces of art, one each day on Facebook, and to nominate one person each day to

          do the same. At first, I did as I was asked and just posted pictures and nominated people.

          But by about Day 4, I could not stand it anymore!, As an artist and an art teacher I had to say 

          more than just presenting an image and so I broke the Rules! 


          You see to me, there is so much more to a painting or a work of art than just what you see! 

          The life and historical context of the artist is also important too, as is the intent, and the 

          Elements and Principles of Art that each artist chooses to use, in their work. Real pieces of art

         are not just a painting of pretty colors on a wall. but also contain a piece of the soul of the    

         Artists that made them. True understanding occurs when your soul meets this soul in love. I see 

          my role as an artist and an art teacher as being one of helping people make these connections. 

         

         Throughout my life, multiculturism and fighting racism in all its forms have been  core issues 

          to me. I dream of a world without hate and division, where each soul counts and lives are 

          enriched by diversity, culture, and different traditions. I have found in my life that teaching 

          empathy and understanding are core to this and have used it as a thread in all my work. 




          On top of the struggles that come with life, for many COVID19 has presented new 

         challenges of; isolation, loss of confidence, and purpose. Writing these pieces has 

          given me new hope and a new way of moving forward. It gives me a chance to share hidden 

          artistic treasures and what I love about each artist and each piece. But it also gives me an 

          opportunity to touch your soul, to make you, question, and hopefully to think too

         of ways, we can move forward and create a better world for all!.


          My thanks to all my friends who have encouraged me, to my daughter Phoebe who I love so

          much and who first encouraged me to write a blog and to my sister Gill Smith and Roger Green .  
          who also suggested it. To Miriam Leupold, Autumn Kuklinski, Siobhan Loughlin, Rezsin  

         
         Adams, Mary Fadale, Pam Luney, Jana Bucher, Deb Smith, Fatima Green my sisters; Diane        
        
        Dubois, Mary Murphy, Sarah Hall Jenny Bush, and Joanna  Bush, and my British sister Stephanie          
        Batchelor, all who have been my cheerleaders along the way and encouraged me in my writing. 
       
        To Roger Green who encouraged me and showed me this blog. To Ray Henrickson and Sue                    
        Hanney and Glenn Leupold who both have read every post I wrote. To my brother Chris and,                 
        sister Jane, the four Sue's, three David's, Owen, Margaret, Fraser, Shannon, Noreen, Mashanee               
        Fran, Leo, Mike, and daughter Nevada and all my other dear friends and relations and to my 
         
        church family.To everyone that has inspired me and helped me on my journey through life. But 
        
       of course, I  give most thanks to my parents Joan and Paul Bush, who have brought me into this 
         
        world and taught me the power of love!        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking at Art and Racism: Changing people's belief of the world using Art, Series One Day Six

Looking at Art and Racism: Changing people's belief of the world using Art, Series One.Day One

Looking at Art and Racism: Changing people's belief of the world using Art, Series One Day 7